Hunting Drake (Legend of Drizzt)

The second chapter of the campaign I am aiming to run is heavily populated by dragonkind and all manner of reptiles. As such, it was a pleasant surprise to unbox my copy of Legend of Drizzt and finding three unpainted, green plastic Hunting Drakes. These have a great scaly texture, and it wasn’t long before I was putting paint on one of them.

led15

These miniatures always need a good scrub before priming. they tend to be covered in some sort of residue from being cast, and the primer won’t adhere too well if they are not properly cleaned and dry. After doing just that, I prepared some reddish primer (that I will need for a future project as well) and basecoated the drake.

A little too gray and not enough red, but if there’s one thing I learned is that Vallejo inks tint more than they shade. Time to bring out some of that.

Much better as far as a basecoat goes. After that was dry, and seeing as the texture is so well-defined in this miniature, I thought of giving it a few drybrushing passes, followed by some hard highlights to bring out the face and dorsal spikes.  I also painted a few of the scales in random shades of red to add diversity (something I saw in this Cold Ones tutorial by the excellent Doctor Faust). And I just now notice I missed some of the inside legs…. something to keep in mind in the next Hunting Drakes I paint.

I wanted to paint the belly in a brown/beige color in order to get the red scales to pop at the gaming table, so I started by basecoating Vallejo M.C. German Camo Beige in a darker color and highlighting the ridges with Vallejo M.C. Buff. I followed that by a wash of Reikland Flesh Shade, but the tint of the shadows was too red, so I had to go back and repaint most of the beiges. While I was at it, I got the eyes and teeth done as well.

The good part is that I liked the resulting effect so much that I eventually convinced myself to paint the dorsal spikes in the same fashion. This time, Reikland Flesh Shade was used to blend the beige into the red scales, and it worked much better. It also worked well around the eyes and teeth, which are also beige.

As you can see, I dumped some Stirland Mud on the base. This time, it was painted in several tones of green and beige, washed green for consistency and some of the rocks were painted gray to create a more interesting base. I kept washing and dumping paint on it until it was satisfied, which took  me a while but I am very happy with the results. The gray of the rocks was toned down with Agrax Earthshade for some earthiness and to help blend it into the green of the base.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

And with the first drake finished, the army is starting to build up!

sam_6070

 

Miniature

Hunting Drake (DnD Legend of Drizzt)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s