Lizardmen (Mage Knight)

The Lizardmen have been happily sitting (standing?) in their new bases for a while now, and it’s about time I show them some love by touching up the mechanical, soulless factory paint job.

The one thing I absolutely hated was how the armor and leather straps are the same color as the sash that the figure is wearing. I do understand this is done in order to save time and money, and the straps I can forgive, but the armor… just didn’t feel right. So one thing I really needed to do after rebasing was repaint the shoulder and arm guards.

 

sam_6162

 

The base color, as for most of the metallics I paint, was Vallejo’s GC Tinny Tin. I can’t say enough good things about this paint… the superb coverage, the color, the metal finish… an absolute favorite of mine. Since I wanted these Lizardmen to look like ragged scavengers and troglodyte-like, I also applied a couple of coats of Citadel’s Nihilakh Oxide. This was done in order to create a patina effect, something I tried to do before for my skeletons. This “technical paint” not only makes the job much easier, it has a grainy finish that I really enjoy.

 

sam_6174

 

In order to try and show how I achieved the final result, you can look at the slideshow below. The base of Tinny Tin was highlighted using Copper, and then the (dilted) Nihilakh Oxide was applied in two thin coats. After that, some very light edge higlighting was done with Copper, in order to accent sharp corners. You can take it a step further and do a Silver edger highlight on top of that as well, focusing only at the very tip of the sharpest angles.

 

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

If the slideshow makes it hard to see, here’s a side-by-side comparison:

img_20161230_175447

 

So with the most glaring aspect out of the way, I did some touching up on the leather straps and sashes, where large areas were left unpainted or where the blue/yellow had bled onto the skin. Oh, and if you are wondering how the bases got to be dark brown, that’s just coat after coat of Citadel’s Agrax Earthshade on top of the white plastic putty – just be very careful to let each coat dry out completely and, more importantly, to not overtouch the previous coat while applying the new one, or the white base will be exposed.

It was starting to look like a finished job, but I took the opportunity to try out a new way to paint bone by repainting the knives and the spear (glaive?) tips. At first I was thinking of doing these in metal colors, but the bone weapons will not only give a more varied look to the army, it will give these guys a more scavenger look, which I was aiming for in the first place. So, the first step is to paint a beige base color on all the bone areas.

 

img_20161227_120009

 

Looking good, but we can do better. The next steps involve lightly drybrushing successive lighter shades of beige, all the way up to white, in order to build the bone color at the edges but still leave some beige in the recessed areas.

 

img_20161227_120029

 

You can see it still looks quite beige, but a few more passes and…

 

img_20161227_123220

There we go, that looks more like actual bone. The same needs to be done for the knives, but instead of drybrushing, careful layering is needed in order to try and avoid splattering beige all over the sashes and the legs of the miniatures. And yes, the processes are out of order (you can clearly see the metallics aren’t painted yet in the picture above), but if you actually spotted that, I have only two things to say: 1) you have a keen eye; and 2) thanks for paying that much attention to my work. I’m really not worth it *blush*.

Now that the miniatures were pretty much finished, it was time to finish the bases. I picked up a little something the other day that I’ve been meaning to use ever since I watched Duncan Rhode’s excellent “Toxic Swamp Base” video… another “technical paint”, Nurgle’s Rot.

 

img_20161231_152456

 

I actually should have rewatched the video and painted a dark green at the bottom of the pools, which would probably have made the color pop up more. Somethng to remember in the future.

After applying the usual Matte Varnish and waiting for it to dry, I went over the swamp pools again, this time with Gloss Varnish. I did the same for the metallic edges, which gave them a lovely sheen. I might make this a habit when after varnishing metallics.

 

 

Miniatures

Mage Knight Lizard Man #13 (x1)

Mage Knight Lizard Man #14 (x2)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s